Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pretty in Pink Frosting

I want to start this post by thanking all of you who left Olivia and I such wonderful birthday wishes. Be sure that I appreciate each and every comment. It boggles the mind how much love there is out there on the blogosphere! Thank you guys so much!

Now for part one of the birthday desserts... What could be better than pink frosted cupcakes for a little girl's birthday? My oldest daughter would argue that a Bratz cake is way better but she's 7 years old, not 1! So cupcakes it was for Olivia and let me tell you I had fun with these! I am usually a total clutz with a piping bag but I guess I found the right frosting recipe because I could have frosted cupcakes all day. Really, I wish I'd had loads of people over for a party so I could have baked dozen after dozen cupcakes. So much fun!

The cupcake recipe I used from Epicurious was really simple and easy. They were very good too, in a simple vanilla cupcake sort of way! It was Olivia's very first taste of cake and I have to admit, she was a lot more fascinated with the pretty candle than with the cupcake itself! She did have a small taste though and she liked it well enough. Annabelle and Thomas both loved them. Thomas even forgot to tell me they were too girlie, he was so busy eating!

So Olivia's birthday dessert went over well, now I have to decide what I'll make as my special dessert. Well, I couldn't do it all on the same day, now could I? And there are so many options out there I've bookmarked or printed out, I don't know what to choose! I'm not good with decisions, I'll let you know how it turns out... In the meantime, please have a cupcake!

The cupcake recipe is from Amy Sedaris and can be found on Epicurious.

Pink Buttercream Frosting

Adapted from
The Cupcakery

4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

4 oz. Vegetable Shortening

5 cups powdered sugar

1/8 tsp. salt

2 to 3 tbsp whole milk

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 tsp. fresh lemon juice

Red food coloring


1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter, shortening & salt for about 30 seconds.

2. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk to the butter mixture and beat again until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
3. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl again.
4. Beat on high speed for 5-6 minutes or until the frosting is fluffy. Add red food coloring, a few drops at a time until desired color is achieved.

5. It is preferable to use the frosting on the same day you make it, but it can keep in the refrigerator for 3 days if tightly wrapped. Make sure and stir the buttercream well before using to get the air bubbles out of the frosting and then pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.


Pin It!

26 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Dear LyB, these cupcakes are so lovely! Perfect for the occasion!

RecipeGirl said...

Happy belated birthday to both of you. What a cutie she is :)

I just made cupcakes for my son's 7th birthday but I can't make darling little pink ones like yours. He's all boy. Sports, bugs, and everything anti-pink.

I love the little pink rosettes that you did all over the cupcakes!

Ginny said...

yummy!!!! I love them! So cute!! Can't wait to see what you make for yourself! delicious!

Elle said...

Gorgeous pink cupcakes! But they don't even compare to that little pink face. hehehe!

test it comm said...

What amazing pink frosting! Nicely decorated cupcakes!

Nina Timm said...

Cute little cupcakes for a cute little girl...

grace said...

aaaah! cuteness overload! i'm just loving your sweets for the sweet...what can i say, i'm a sucker for little kids and anything pink. :)

marae said...

Lyb what cute cuppies...I adore cuppies and PINK frosting.

Nic said...

Beautiful little cakes! Aww, that little face is a picture!

Anonymous said...

Je découvre ton blog, de jolies photos, je fouine... That Pink Frosting is wonderfull!!

Lisa T. said...

These are so darling - and you are right - perfect for a beautiful little girl!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes (and your daughter) are too cute!

Unknown said...

The cupcakes are as cute as your daughter...well ok, she is the cutest...:)

Mama Mia said...

the little girl is adorable! Your pink cupcakes look wonderful too!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Too sweet! Darling pink cupcakes, perfect for your darling little girl.

PheMom said...

So sweet! Happy belated birthday to you two sweet gals! Awesome cupcakes!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your cupcakes look beautiful! I love the pretty rosettes. Olivia looks like she approves! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, although a bit late :)
My baby turns two today and I cannot believe it. Time is flying by waaaaay to fast!
I love those pink cupcakes! Too cute :)

ChichaJo said...

I love that frosting! Pink!!! Soooo pretty :)

Di said...

I love the pink frosting--nice piping job. When Gillian turned 1 last October, Brianna (who is now 5) insisted that we make chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I'm sure you can guess what her favorite cake is... =) Gillian seemed okay with that choice. In fact, I'm the odd man out in my house, since I prefer my chocolate frosting with vanilla cake.

PG said...

These are really cute. I recently made a sunflower cake using the same tip.

galleryfang said...

these cupcakes are adorable...

Anonymous said...

Just made this and kept reading over the recipe. I forgot the shortening, as in the directions there is nothing about it so I had 5 cups sugar to 1 stick of butter. So keep that in mind that if you use the whole 5 cups to make sure you add 2 sticks of butter or 1 stick and 4oz of shortening. Still turned out good except sugary.

LyB said...

Anonymous - I'm terribly sorry. The shortening is already in the ingredient list but I'll fix the directions right away. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Liz Mays said...

How absolutely gorgeous!

LUCY said...

This looks fab and would love to try it out. How much frosting does it make? Or, how many cupcakes or what size cake do you think it would cover. If it isn't enough can the ingredients be doubled?