Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie - Traditional Madeleines

I haven't participated in the last few Tuesdays with Dorie for a couple of reasons but mostly because time has been flying away from me quicker than ever lately and I can't seem do everything I want or even need to do. But when I learned the recipe Tara, of Smells Like Home, had chosen for this week was Traditional Madeleines, I was totally there.
I got a Madeleine pan a few months back, and a friend of mine gave me a mini-Madeleines pan recently as well. I had used them only once to ordinary results, so I wanted to see how Dorie's recipe would do. I learned a few things from my first Madeleine experience though, like don't overfill the pans because these babies rise! I wanted dainty little Madeleines so I went easy on the batter and they turned out a lot better than my first ones. Also, you need to butter and flour the pans really well because the Madeleines tend to stick to the molds. Other than that, this is a really easy recipe and the batter needs to chill so it can be made up to a few days in advance. The resulting cakes are lemony, spongy little bites of heaven and even though recipes for Madeleines usually say these are better served the same day, I had some the day after I made them and they were still delicious. The cuteness factor here, to me, justifies the purchase of the special pan, but I've heard you can also make these in mini-muffin tins. I'll definitely be making these again, and I can't wait to try many, many different variations. What did the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers think of these little beauties? Check them out and see! You can find Dorie's recipe for Traditional Madeleines on this site.
Pin It!

52 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

These definitely have a very high (possibly dangerously high) cuteness factor. Nice job.

Carrie said...

YUM! Beautiful job~!

grace said...

i can make them in my mini muffin tin!!! that's awesome news! i love anything and everything that comes out of that thing! i've never tried my hand at madeleines because i don't have a madeleine pan, but now i can! all right, so they won't be real madeleines, but they'll be close...right?

Garrett said...

I agree with the cuteness factor of the madeleine pan. Mini muffin tins will make mini cakes, but it misses out on the pretty shape :-)

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job on these. Adorable!!

CRS said...

They look fantastic, and you're right--they are adorable!

Anonymous said...

These look great, Lynne! Yum.

Nic said...

I'm really going to have to get a madeleine pan, they look really good!

Bumblebutton said...

Super cute! Nice job!

Elle said...

Those are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! These look so dainty and yummy! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Yours look wonderful - and I agree that part of the charm of a madeleine is it's shape!

Melissa said...

Very very very cute!

ostwestwind said...

I agree a part of the charm of madeleines is the shape and the ... bump ;-)

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

CB said...

Your madeleines turned out beautiful! Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

noskos said...

Great looking madeleines!!

Gigi said...

I think I may to make a batch for myself. These cookie are too cute to pass up. Plus I have that need to justify the madeleine pan purchase.

Marie Rayner said...

Your madeleines are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful! Well done!!

Anonymous said...

They look fabulous!

Linda said...

Great job...you're madeleines look lovely! And have fun making variations...this cookie is a great vehicle for different flavors and spices.

mimi said...

your madeleines look great, and very cute!

Isabelle Lambert said...

elles sont bien réussies tes madeleines...la réfrigération...c'est le secret des madeleines à bosse..chez nous, elles ont été mangées très rapidement...et j'ai hâte d'en refaire

Casa Costello said...

Gorgeous - I can't wait to try all the variations too! Hx

marae said...

all these fab madeleines look so delicate and ladylike....so fun!!! love them.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Your pictures make me want to run out and grab a madeleine pan to make these!

Cheryl said...

Yours are so pretty1

Jaime said...

those are beautiful!

PheMom said...

Perfect. Perfect, perfect, perfect. This is what I thought they would/should look like. Beautiful job!

amanda. said...

Mmm. They're beautiful!

test it comm said...

Nice looking Madeleines!

Annemarie said...

Love the dusting of powdered sugar. They look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics! The mini madeleine pan just gets more tempting ...

Manggy said...

LyB, the madeleines look great :) When I have loads of money I'll buy a good pan-- I always hesitate a lot when pans have only one use!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your madeleines look just perfect! Great job!

Dolores said...

I'm glad you're back! :) And I'm with you... glad I made the investment in a single-tasking pan.

Aimée said...

Beautiful madeleines, Lyb. My love affair with madeleines goes back a few years and never fades! Your's look particularly light, but firm. Yum!

Ginny said...

The looks amazing! With a nice cup of coffee i would be licking the power sugar off my hands!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, sweetie, these are so adorable! Perfectly shaped, and look so tender!

vibi said...

Merci pour ta visite LyB et bravo pour tes Madeleines, elles ont l'air plus que légères et moelleuses, ont-elles aussi la chanson? :))
En effet... moi aussi je me remettrai bientôt au moule à Madeleines, pour essayer toutes ces autres variations! Surtout qu'il n'y a aucune chance de gaspillage, comme elles ont disparues si rapidement!!!
BRAVO encore...

Mari said...

Oh, I could eat a plateful of those beauties right now!

The Kitchen Vixen said...

Oh they are picture perfect! great job;)

Mumsy said...

Great job!!! Your pictures are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back. They look beautiful.

Robin said...

Wow, your Madeleines look beautiful! Makes me wish I went and got a pan and made these ;-)

April said...

Very cute and dainty!

Jayne said...

So beautiful!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

The dusting of icing sugar looks lovely!

Liliana said...

Your madeleines came out perfect!

Great job!

Andrea said...

your madeleines are so cute. I think the metal pans give a better shell impression. Well done

Di said...

Your madeleines look great! I'm with you on the feeling like time is flying by way too fast...

Anonymous said...

The sweet little madeleine can lure TWD bakers back into action! You got such a perfectly even golden color on them - beautiful.