Sunday, July 20, 2008

Making Memories with a New Cheesecake

Cheesecake is one of my all time favorite desserts. When we lived in Montreal, my mom would take me and my brother for walks and stop off at this wonderful bakery, of which I don't remember the name, typical. We would share a huge piece of the thickest, creamiest, strawberry cheesecake ever. To this day, I've never been able to find a cheesecake to top that one. Maybe it's the memories attached to the cake that makes it so special, or maybe my tastes have changed since those early days, but one thing's for sure, I still love cheesecake.

A little more than a week ago, I got this undeniable comfort food/dessert craving. This all started when I was looking for recipes to use up some Quark cheese I had in the fridge. Of course, I turned to Food Blog Search and came across this wonderful recipe. I printed it out and started thinking about how I could switch things up a little. I had some raspberries to use up as well and I remembered this post from Elle about raspberry-lime muffins. As soon as I made these muffins using lime zest instead of lemon, I knew why Elle had become obsessed with those flavors! So, raspberry-lime cheesecake it was!

My craving was totally satisfied. This cake is not too moist which makes it perfect with the raspberries bursting in every bite. And the lime pulls it all together, it just makes the flavors pop! I'm sure this would be great with lemon and blueberries, or maybe strawberries and orange. Really there are so many possibilities, I don't know why you guys are still here! Get baking already!

And because I liked this cake so much, I decided to send it to sweet Susan from Food Blogga who is hosting Sugar High Friday #45. The theme is berries, what else! I can't wait for the berry-liscious round-up! SHF is a monthly event created by Jennifer, The Domestic Goddess.

Raspberry-Lime Cheesecake
Adapted from Kedai Hamburg

100g flour
1 tsp baking powder
200g superfine sugar
Zest of 1 lime
200g cream cheese, softened
250g Quark cheese
3 eggs
125g butter, melted
Juice of 1 lime
150g fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a 26 cm (10 inch) spring form pan with parchment paper. Also grease the pan well.

In a small bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder. In another bowl, mix the sugar with the lime zest, mashing it together with a fork. Set these aside. In a large bowl, with your mixer of choice, combine the cream cheese with the Quark cheese until well blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between each addition. Add the sugar mixture, then the melted butter and the lime juice. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter in the prepared pan and distribute the raspberries evenly throughout the surface of the cake. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 to 50 minutes, until the edges of the cake are golden brown. Let the cake cool in the pan. Once the cake has cooled, run a knife in between the cake and the pan before unmolding.

PS: I apologize to those of you who don’t have a kitchen scale, I was too lazy to convert to imperial units. That being said, I highly recommend purchasing a kitchen scale. I just got one recently and I love it!

Pin It!

19 comments:

Manggy said...

Lynne, that looks just as creamy and delicious as thoe cheesecake of your past you described :) Plus, it has a nice retro effect on top too!
Lucky you for having extra quark. I've been looking for some because I really wanted to make a dresdener eierschecke :o

Lore said...

WOW! Classy and delicate. I'm sure this was delicious!

Bria said...

I don't even like cheesecake, but this looks so delicious!

Nic said...

I'm a cheesecake fan too, and yours looks really good with the lime and raspberries.

Robin said...

Love the polka dots. What a pretty cheese cake. Mmm lime!

Bitten Sweets said...

it looks so pretty and delicious--and raspberries are my new fruit obsession!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I definitely think that childhood cheesecake is the best-tasting ever because it floods you with warm, sweet thoughts of your family.

Now, you're flooding me with cravings for cheesecake! Ah, just the thought of raspberries and lime is making me pucker up for a slice. Thanks for the wonderful SHF entry!

Brilynn said...

I wish all recipes required a kitchen scale, it really is so much easier and more accurate. Your cheesecake looks fabulous, I know recreating a favourite taste, especially one associated with fond memories is especially difficult.

grace said...

oh me. i think that of all my guilty dessert-related pleasures, cheesecake tops the list. and now i have to make this one. actually, i think i'll go for the lemon/blueberry version since i'm on a blueberry kick. darn you.

Aimée said...

Cheesecake is such a perfect summer dessert. I was wondering what to do with those raspberries in the garden. and now I know. Great recipe and lovely shots. Love the green plate.

Patricia Scarpin said...

LyB, I love how it looks dotted and beautiful! I have never made a cheesecake (can you believe it?) and this would be a great way to start!

test it comm said...

That cheesecake looks so good!

Elle said...

Oh my gosh, that looks absolutely incredible! And you already know I'll love the flavor! It's gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I've made it, it's gorgeous! Thank you for the recipe :) But I have to say I added half of the sugar suggested and I used brown sugar. It was great for me :)

Kristen said...

I'm driving my boyfriend nuts with my current lime-obsession. This is going on my "must make" list. :D

Sihan said...

oh my.. look at the endless possibilities you've got there. I'm stoked. hehe. Bringing in a whole horde of limes tonight. hehe.

Alexa said...

What great flavors for a cheesecake!

Lynne Daley said...

Your cheesecake is beautiful.

WoW Gold Guide said...

good post