Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Blueberry Daze

Time is truly flying by these days. School starts this Friday and oh, my, it seems we didn't get enough summer. That's why the Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte chosen by Amy of Food, Family and Fun for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie won't be making an appearance on my blog today. It just didn't fit into my schedule but I'll be baking with Dorie next week, I promise!

I couldn't go another day without giving you guys a recipe though. I made this bread pudding a few weeks ago and I never got around to posting it, due to the aforementioned time flying by! But it is truly worth a post as it is full of blueberry, cinnamony and mapley goodness.

Since we did get a lot of cold and rainy days this summer, we took advantage of them by going shopping for school supplies and clothes for the kids. I know, how boring. Not for me though, as I kinda like shopping for school supplies, but shhh, don't tell the kids! So anyways, when we go shopping we often stop by this coffee shop where they sell cinnamon rolls. Towards the end of the day, they pack bits and pieces of day old cinnamon rolls into plastic bags. They are absolutely perfect for making bread pudding so I always grab a few. And as I had seen this post from Aimée just days before, I knew I had to add blueberries to my usual recipe.


The blueberries add such a nice touch to this, they get all juicy and pop in your mouth and they marry beautifully with the maple and the cinnamon. Of course, I know that there are those (Hi Grace!) who would add even more cinnamon to the pudding and I'm sure it would be fantastic but I find just the hint of spice from the cinnamon rolls to be perfect.


Blueberry Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding

About 6 cups of day old cinnamon rolls, cut into cubes
6 eggs
2 cups milk
4 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup of fresh blueberries
Coarse sugar
Maple syrup for serving

The night before you want to serve your bread pudding, mix the eggs, milk and maple syrup in a large bowl. Arrange the cinnamon roll pieces in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle your blueberries over the cinnamon rolls. Pour the egg mixture over the cinnamon rolls and blueberries. Press lightly with your hands, making sure the rolls are mostly covered with the custard. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, when you're ready to bake, preheat your oven to 375F. Sprinkle your bread pudding with some coarse sugar and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until it is golden and the custard is set. Serve warm with maple syrup.

Pin It!

30 comments:

Manggy said...

Oh. My. Word. That is just sinful. Cinnamon rolls, then add custard?! *Drools like Homer Simpson* The swirl of blueberry running through it is the one that just kills me! :P``

Anonymous said...

Sorry Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte, but I will take this insanely delicious looking Blueberry creation over you any day of the week. I mean, bread pudding made out of cinnamon rolls...c'mon.

I was wondering how you might possibly end up with 6 cups of old cinnamon rolls (lock them in a safe after purchase to keep everyone away?), but now I see - what a good use for the end of day stuff - I think our bakery does that as well.

Sandie said...

"Oh my," she said, mouth gaping open, "This looks fantastic!"

Seriously, *swoon*, thanks for this recipe. It's right up my alley and sooo getting made soon.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Oooh, I just love the sprinkling of coarse sugar. That puts these already too-sinful-looking blueberry rolls just over the top. I have to bookmark this. I have to.

Steph said...

That looks incrediably delicious!! I love the swirls of blueberry and the coarse sugar on top.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Wow! This looks amazing! I think I'd even prefer it to the ice cram torte!

Aimée said...

Looks like a step up from my recipe. Love it!
Happy back to school!

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh... that looks amazing...

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

I was wondering how you could you have day old cinnamon rolls! Around our house with so many brothers that would be impossible! But then I guess you could go to the clearance rack at Wal-Mart!

Robin said...

My heart stopped when I read this recipe. I even have fresh blueberries! Cinnamon rolls too! WEEEEEEE!!!

grace said...

am i that obvious? :)

i would seriously endure the tedium of making cinnamon rolls just so i could let a few go stale and make this. it's officially my new favorite bread pudding recipe--i'm so easy to convert. :)

Nic said...

Another super recipe, great idea to use cinnamon rolls!

RecipeGirl said...

Wow, does that look fanTAStic! Cinnamon rolls in a bread pudding??? Fabulous.

vibi said...

Ouin... ben t'as pas chômé dis-donc, pendant mon absence!!!
Ça m'a tout l'air que malgré le mauvais temps, l'été ne t'as pas trop mal traité! LOL LOL LOL J'ai du rattrapage à faire... tout à l'air tellement ...Mmmmmmm!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Ok, LyB. That is official - you are making my life miserable!! :D

Just kidding, darling - it's just that you combined so many things I truly love in this dish that I wish I lived nearby. ;)

Deborah said...

I don't know why, but I've never thought to make bread pudding with cinnamon rolls! This looks absolutely delicious!

Katie said...

You had me at Cinnamon Rolls. Fantastic idea, and the fruit makes it healthy. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...cinnamon rolls AND bread pudding WITH blueberries. Sounds like heaven!

Anonymous said...

Oh.. I want a cinnamon shop like that near me!
I love school supplies too, and always end up buying a few extra packs of this or that for me ;)

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Thanks for sharing this one! What a great looking bread pudding.

test it comm said...

This blueberry treat looks so good!

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

Oh my! That sounds just amazing! I'm so going to be making this soon :]

Anonymous said...

Yum. Really, do I need to say more?
except perhaps where's my coffee and how many of those could I stuff in my mouth right now.

Ginny said...

Honestly, I don't know how yall keep up with the TWD...I couldn't do it! This looks amazing! I love blueberries! :)

Heather said...

wow, that looks delicious! i looove blueberries :)

Anonymous said...

This may be one of the best blueberry recipes I've seen....cinnamon rolls baked into bread pudding with blueberries??? YUM! What a great idea!!

Anonymous said...

I made 'em. They are wonderful. I'm now ready to open my bed and breakfast. ;-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

You came up with a wonderful dessert. I'm glad you shared this with us.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

You had me at blueberry and bread pudding, but then I did a little happy dance at the thought of drizzling it with sweet maple syrup. Oh, yum.

Mari said...

This looks absolutely to die for!