Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Sometimes I get frustrated that I don't have a designated space for taking the photos I use on this blog. I wish I could have a place where all my bowls and spoons and plates and cups were right there when I need them and all my place mats and napkins and table cloths were always nicely ironed and ready to use. I wish I didn't have to clear the kitchen table of the crayons and papers and sippy cups and crumbs from breakfast or lunch.

But, other times, I just roll with it. I am, after all, a mom of three with the youngest, a soon to be 2 year old, getting way ahead of herself with the "terrible twos". So I just pop the cooling muffin tray on the table with the doodles and the crayons and I take the photos that I need. And sometimes, it doesn't turn out half bad. You have to go with what life gives you, right?

So if life gave you a few lemons, buttermilk you need to use up and poppy seeds you got for some dish ages ago and you have no idea what to do with, try these muffins, won't you? They're moist and fragrant and the perfect thing to wake up to on a cold and rainy morning.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Adapted from Tammy’s Recipes)


2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 egg
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest (the zest from about two large lemons)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350F.


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.


In a smaller bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub them together until the sugar is slightly moist and fragrant. Add the egg, the butter, the buttermilk and the vanilla. Mix well.


Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir just until moistened. Do not over mix. The batter will be fairly thick.


Divide batter evenly into 12 paper-lined or greased muffin cups. Bake muffins on rack in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until muffins test done.


Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Pin It!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

I can so relate to this post! I wish I had that designated space too, but I'm sure if I did it would just get taken over by some other kid like thing and would no longer be mine :)

Erica from Cooking for Seven said...

Very true! I fell like my photos are completely unorganized - hit and miss. These photos are definitely a hit. Gotta love poppy seeds.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lyb, my dear, your photos are so beautiful, you should not have to worry. And we would not mind seeing a crayon on the side - in fact, if I lived nearby, I would volunteer to help you clean the mess just so I could snack on these muffins. :D
I'll be making these as soon as poppy seeds are back here in Brazil.

vibi said...

AH! Tiens... justement... pas de p'tite main, pas de p'tit pied dans le décor, ni même de p'tit nez! LOL
Moi aussi j'aimerais bien avoir un endroit spécifique à la photo, quoique je monopolise la table de cuisine la plupart du temps et qu'on finisse par diner au salon! lol Mais si je devais en trouver une quelque part dans la maison, rien qu'à moi, toute à moi... j'hériterais probablement du garage. Eurk.
Mais au final tu sais, les crayons, les miettes et tout le reste... peuvent parfois faire partie de très belle photo.
Dans tous les cas... Elles sont très belles tes photos. Et tes muffins aussi!

Manggy said...

Hey, I think the photos are great, and the natural approach is refreshing and more interesting. After all, we are not propskeepers, we have lives to lead! :) I just had a supermarket poppy seed muffin "gifted" to us-- blech. Dry in the middle. I'd take yours any day!

Julia said...

Oh boy, I love lemon poppyseed muffins. I like to add a little chopped lemon verbena to them too!

Aimée said...

So lovely, especially the crayons. Makes me feel right at home.

These look amazing, btw. I CAN'T remember the last time I had a decent lemon-poppy seed muffin.

Dazy said...

Just wanted to tell you that I made this dish for Valentines Day and it was amazing! Thank you so much for the recipe, it is one we will be enjoying again and again!

Gavin said...

Hey I too tried baking cup cakes and fairy cakes just after my exams got over. I go weak in the knees with a mention of muffins and cakes.