Monday, March 15, 2010

Blurry Days and a Buttermilk Waffle Recipe

Having just read the date on my last post, all I can say, really, is the past few months went by in a blur consisting of three children, school, homework, house-work, march-break, a few books I read as if I would never have time to read again, a knitting project that finally got to be finished, and a bunch of breakfasts, lunches and dinners not really worth blogging about except for some buttermilk waffles I keep making over and over again.


Yes, folks, I am still cooking and baking although, I must admit, the scales tip way, way over on the cooking side and the baking has been less and less. Not to say that I'm bored with all the chocolate, cakes, cookies, pies and other assorted sweets floating around the blogosphere and tempting my taste buds in various cookbooks and magazines, just that I needed to "healthify" myself a little and not baking has been the way to go. Perhaps with Daylight Savings Time, I will be able to photograph our dinners once in a while.

Sunday breakfasts are still decadent though as it is the only day in the week that we have a little time to sit together as a family and just breathe. Hence the making of the buttermilk waffles. I usually make a huge batch, freeze individual portions and reheat the leftovers in the toaster for the kids during the week. I don't know about you but I have a tough time getting my kids to eat breakfast before going to school and homemade waffles can work wonders for their appetites. Add fresh blueberries, a little maple syrup and watch whole platefuls disappear!

Buttermilk Waffles

adapted from Smitten Kitchen who first adapted the recipe from Mark Bittman


2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 tsp salt

3 tbsp sugar

2 1/4 tsp baking soda

2 2/3 cups buttermilk*

3 eggs, separated

6 tbsp canola oil

1 tsp vanilla extract


In a large bowl, mix the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, sugar and baking soda. In another bowl combine the buttermilk, egg yolks, oil and vanilla extract.


Preheat your waffle iron and brush it with a little oil. While it's preheating, beat the egg whites with your mixer choice until they form soft peaks. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mix well, then fold in the egg whites.


Ladle 1/2 to 3/4 cups of batter into your waffle iron. If you don't use enough batter the waffles won't rise; too much batter and it will spill. You'll need to experiment with quantities and cooking times to get your perfect waffle. It also depends on what kind of waffle iron you have.

Keep making waffles until you have used up all the batter. You can serve them as soon as they are ready or keep them warm in a low oven. Freeze all leftovers in individual portions and reheat in a toaster as needed.

* If you don't happen to have buttermilk around you can substitute 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar for every cup of buttermilk needed. You can also thin out some plain yogurt with a little milk. But, to tell you the truth, between these waffles and the Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins I make regularly, buttermilk has no time to reach its expiration date in my fridge anymore.
Pin It!

9 comments:

Manggy said...

I am so glad you're back, Lynne! I don't mind cooking posts instead of baking ones. This counts as healthy right? Healthy for the soul!! :)

Lucie said...

Oh how I regret not having a waffle press! This is really a perfect weekend breakfast, yum!

grace said...

i'll take your lovely posts are often as you're able to provide them, especially if waffles AND blueberries are involved. delightful. but wait--what's this about a little maple syrup? :)

LyB said...

Man, I love you guys so much!!! :)

Mark, thanks so much! This definitely counts as healthy, there's a whole cup of whole wheat flour in these! ;)

Lucie, a waffle iron is so worth it! I've used it so much since I got it, I wish I'd had it sooner!

Grace, you're the sweetest! Would you believe that, unlike me who can drown anything in maple syrup, my kids like only a little of it on their waffles! Go figure!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

"Healthify" yourself. I love that. These waffles look so beautiful, Lynne. Thanks for telling me about them. :)

LyB said...

You're very welcome Susan. :)

Federica Simoni said...

wow che delizia!!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Such a beautiful waffle! I'll bake these soon because I'm still searching for a favorite waffle recipe.

Cherish said...

Was searching for a whole wheat buttermilk recipe and found this. Tasty! Thanks for sharing!