Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Big Thank You and a Jar Full of Taffy

To say that I was overwhelmed by the kindness and thoughtfulness of my readers for the past few weeks would be quite an understatement. Every comment left on my last post felt like a great, big hug and I want to thank each and every one of you who took the time to write and think positive thoughts for me. Thank you, so much! And thank you for being patient with me. I'm catching up on your posts and trying to leave a comment. Thanks for understanding. I haven't been doing a lot of "fun" baking lately but I wanted to share this fun activity I did with the kids.

Saint Catherine's Taffy is a tradition in Québec and I remember making it only once when I was about 8 years old. I came home from school with a recipe for taffy and my mom agreed to make some with me. It was so much fun! Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was watching a Ricardo episode with Tom. Ricardo was making said taffy and my little guy looked at me and I knew we would have to make taffy. We waited for the weekend so Annabelle could partake in the fun and, oh, what fun we had!

Buttery, sticky hands and laughing kids. Could there be anything better? And the taffy even tasted just like I remembered! The kids loved it, even had a few pieces before lunch. I know, I know... But how could I say no when they'd been working so hard pulling and twisting the taffy! Thank goodness Martin took some of it to his co-workers because we made a lot of taffy.

So, even if it isn't Saint Catherine's day, making taffy is a great activity and the taffy makes a wonderful homemade gift. Get pulling everyone!

Saint Catherine's Taffy adapted from Ricardo Magazine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup salted butter (plus more for buttering hands!)
1/2 tsp baking soda
parchment paper, cut into squares, for wrapping


Butter a 13 X 9 inch Pyrex baking dish and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, mix granulated sugar, brown sugar, molasses, water, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until your candy thermometer (you'll need one for this recipe!) hits 260F. Remove from the heat and mix in the baking soda. Pour the taffy into the prepared Pyrex dish. Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, until it is cool enough to handle. It should still be warm though as it will be too hard to pull if it's cool.

Once you're ready to begin pulling, butter your hands (kids LOVE this part!), grab the taffy and pull. Fold it in half, twist it up, pull again. Repeat until the taffy takes on a lighter, golden color, about 10 minutes. Cut the taffy in half and pull it, once piece at a time into a 1/2-inch tube. Cut the tube into 1-inch pieces and set them aside on your prepared baking sheet. Wrap the taffy pieces in parchment paper. If it is wrapped well, the taffy will keep for weeks at room temperature.

Pin It!

18 comments:

Manggy said...

I'm glad to see you're doing better-- here's some more hugs just in case ;) That looks like sooo much fun! (Except fun Uncle Manggy would probably put newspapers everywhere!) I think it'd be fun to think of different ways you could pull that thing!

grace said...

that doesn't look like the taffy with which i'm familiar--it's not pastel and covered in cornstarch or confectioner's sugar. no ma'am, that looks 184 times better than the taffy i've tried--great treat!

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back! I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing! The taffy looks amazing and a lot of fun to make! :)

Aimée said...

Hope things are cheerier in your home. This sure looks like fun! Welcome back.

xox
A

Johanna B said...

Glad you're back. The taffy looks wonderful. I grew up on laffy taffy which doesn't hold a candle to the real homemade stuff.

Sandy said...

oh yummy taffy!

Maris said...

Welcome back! Your taffy looks like fun and I hope cheered you up a little - if even just for the day! :)

Anonymous said...

This taffy looks so cute!!Is it hard or chewy?

Rachelle S said...

Oooh, this looks so cool! I may have to try this some day!

vibi said...

Eille! J'avais pas vu ça moi! Comment j'ai pu manquer ça!???
T'as joué à la (jeune) vieille fille!!! LOL

Elle est super belle ta tire LyB! Je pense que j'en avais jamais vu comme ça... faite maison en tortillons et tout! Ouf! Tu t'es certainement donné bien du mal...

Gretchen Noelle said...

I don't think I have seen anything quite like taffy here in Peru. I really hope I can make this!!

Anonymous said...

The brown sugar-
is that dark or light brown?

I need to make this for Valentine's Day!

Anne said...

OOH!!! I was just talking about this today. I was telling my friend that I wanted to make this with my new candy thermometer soon :)

Such great memories of making this with my mother to bring to school.

Bonne Annee!

jamses00 said...

good post.

Jacob said...

chance that you are looking for a link fabricating organization, at that point you can go on the web and do some examination. cable winding machine manufacturer You would then be able to a couple of organizations.

John Wick said...

In the wake of examining the contenders, 3g 4g wifi routers one can without much of a stretch make sense of their qualities and shortcomings and afterward plan the arranging in like manner.

Savannah said...

More than that, it has been made with multihued completes that add a bit of brightness and energy. In any case, it is critical to appropriately introduce outbuilding. street light Supplier

LCR Left Center Right™ Dice Game said...

I read your blog it is very interesting for me here is my website must visit: Sticky Hands