Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie - Tall and Creamy Cheesecake

I want to start this post by thanking Anne, of Anne Strawberry, for giving me an excuse to bake a huge (HUGE) cheesecake. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! What a fabulous recipe to end the year with. I haven't baked a cheesecake like this in years and that is partly because the rest of the household isn't as crazy about cheesecake as I am, and also because, well, it's cheesecake and if I make it, I eat it!

As I have mentioned before, cheesecake has got to be one of my favorite desserts. The name of this cheesecake is Tall and Creamy and let me tell you, the name doesn't lie. With 2lbs of cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, 4 eggs and a list of many other tasty ingredients, this is not a lightweight. But, its texture is surprisingly light and fluffy. I opted to go for the chocolate crust and to keep the cheesecake part plain. As you can see from the pics though, it wasn't plain for long. Caramel sauce was the perfect complement for the tangy taste of the cheesecake.

Baking a cheesecake in a water bath was new to me but it went fairly well. Martin found some extra large, heavy-duty aluminum foil for me so I could wrap my springform pan completely and not worry about water seeping through the pan. I did bake the cake about 15 minutes longer than the one and a half hour specified as it was still pretty "giggly". I was a little concerned but, I turned off the heat and crossed my fingers.

I had nothing to be concerned about as the cheesecake set perfectly well and tasted fabulous. Even Martin, who isn't a real cheesecake fan, thought it was delicious. I can't say if I like the fluffy kind or the dense kind better but that just means I'll have to experiment a little more. Should you want to experiment a little yourselves, you can visit Anne's blog for the cheesecake recipe. And for even more inspiration, visit the rest of the Tuesdays with Dorie gang, I'm sure you'll find a few interesting cheesecake variations to start on. Have fun! :)

Pin It!

38 comments:

Isabelle Lambert said...

oh my god !! ce caramel ! je suis très très caramel ! lol ! c'est superbe lynne !
Joyeuses fêtes et bonne année 2009 :)

Engineer Baker said...

Oh darn, more taste testing required :) Beautiful job, I love the caramel sauce drizzle.

Marthe said...

Wow, this looks amazing!!! Love the caramel!

Christine said...

Wow your crust looks great and your cheesecake looks delicious! Glad you cake came out in the water bath, this is where everything went wrong with mine!

Danielle said...

Carmel sauce sounds great on this cake! Yours turned out perfect!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Your cheesecake looks terrific! I am sure the chocolate and caramel were a perfect combo!

chocolatechic said...

oooOOoooooo

Caramel and chocolate crust.

Yummy!

Maci said...

Your Cheesecake looks great! No cracks...lucky you!

PheMom said...

Now I know it would be fabulous this way too!! This was exactly the other route I thought of taking, but my hubs isn't a chocolate fan. I am so making this again with the chocolate crust. Your cheesecake is picture perfect!!

Happy New Year!

Rachelle S said...

Mmmm, take a bite for me! :)

Sarah said...

looks amazing!

Peggy said...

Fabulous. Tall, creamy and delicious. Great job! Happy New Year!

pigpigscorner said...

Wow, looks rich and delicious!

vibi said...

Eille... tu serais devant moi, je te ferais des grimaces, espèce de... Pfff... avec au moins 3546 calories par portion, si en plus faut y ahouter une croûte au chocolat et le noyer dans le caramel, Fiou... aussi bien le renommer ZE KILLER CAKE! LOL
Divin, LyB!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Yum!!! I love the carmel on the top! Looks absolutely delish!

Anonymous said...

I gasped when I saw the perfect top on your cheesecake. I really did.

Amanda said...

I too did a chocolate crust!! Your caramel sauce looks wonderful!!! I'll have to remember that idea for next time.

Anonymous said...

ohh my! Caramel plus cheesecake. Heaven!

Anonymous said...

Your cheesecake looks wonderful! I love the caramel!

Anne said...

Wow- those are stunning photos and it looks SO delicious!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Caramel sauce and extra-wide foil; we are kindred cheesecake spirits (but I do like really dark caramel sauce).

Unknown said...

Chocolate and caramel...wow. I want to go make another one!

test it comm said...

That cheesecake is looking really good all covered in caramel sauce!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, this looks amazing! Can't wait for a TWD rewind.

TeaLady said...

Chocolate Crust!! Caramel sauce!!! I think I have gone to cheesecake heaven. I HAVE to try this combination. Wow!!!

grace said...

well, your cheesecake certainly looks absolutely perfect from where i'm sitting. would you believe i've never make a large cheesecake? just minis. i guess i'm a bit of a coward, but this is inspiring. :)

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Oh wow! This looks really fantastic! Love that second picture!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Melissa said...

I'd like the job to taste test your cheesecakes! Your chocolate crust and caramel sauce sound divine.

Sandy said...

oh, can we gain wt by reading blogs? lol. delicious! happy new yr!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Goodness, that's one delicious looking cheesecake. Thank heavens for having an excuse to make it!

Brilynn said...

Cheesecake used to be one of my favourites, but I'd never make it because no one liked it as much as I did.
I've made Dorie's recipe though, and it's fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad I saw that someone posted this cheesecake on twitter. Lovely blog. I can't wait to see more.

Aimée said...

This looks SO GOOD, Lynne!! I've never doen the water bath thing, but it certainly looks like it gives great results.

Happy New Year to you and the family from all of us!
xox

AmyRuth said...

Ummm, chocolate crust, tangy cheesecake and carmel sauce. That sounds so good Wow! That's a combo to try. thanks for great ideas and I agree I can't decide if I like fluffy or dense. Happy 2009
AmyRuth

Altaf said...

my god....this looks dilicious!
i have the book, i'll make it soon.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to stop visiting over there, that's all there is to it...there is just no way to live up to any of these posts of yours...LOL. (Not serious...I can't wait to get over here each week and see what you have created!) WOW!

Jaime said...

looks like we both had the same idea on this one ;)

Anonymous said...

delicious! that looks amazing! :)