Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday Kind of Breakfast

I love getting up on Sunday morning and taking my time deciding what to make for breakfast. I'll let the kids play their video games so I'll have time to make myself a cup of coffee, browse through my many, many bookmarks or magazines, and try to find THE recipe I feel like making that morning. Or perhaps I'll settle for a tried and true breakfast favorite like crêpes, scones, muffins or waffles. But some days, I feel like having more of a savory breakfast, something I usually make as "breakfast for dinner". Those most often involve eggs, bacon and some type of bread. We so very rarely have bacon for breakfast that once the bacon aroma started wafting through the house, my son walked into the kitchen with this surprised and happy look on his face and actually said: "Are you making BACON for breakfast?!?" He was one happy kid.

I also had a bunch of gorgeous grape tomatoes from the market which I turned into a nice little salsa to serve alongside some eggs cooked in a bagel nest. The bagels are from Bagels Tradition'L in Québec, where you can get pretty much THE best bagel in town. They're baked in a wood oven which gives them a distinctive taste, and they are very, very hard to resist! All in all, a great Sunday breakfast. Now, what to make for dinner... ;)


Oven Cooked Bacon

Once you start cooking your bacon in the oven you will never go back to making it in a pan. You can use the time the bacon is baking to make the rest of breakfast! Cool, right?

Preheat your oven to 400F. Lay the bacon slices down on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on how thick your slices are and how crisp you like your bacon. Once cooked, place the slices on a piece of paper towel to absorb some of the fat. You can keep the bacon warm in a low oven, if you need to.

Fresh Tomato Salsa

Olive oil
About 20 small grape tomatoes (you could also use cherry tomatoes)
1 small red onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper

In a pan, over medium heat, pour a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and let them warm up and get soft, again, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Add basil at the very last minute and keep the salsa warm until serving time.

Eggs in a Bagel Nest


Ingredients for each serving:
Butter and olive oil
1/2 a bagel
1 egg
Sliced green onions
Grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper

Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add a little butter and olive oil and heat until the butter is melted and bubbly. Place your bagel half, cut side down, into the pan and let it warm up for a few minutes. Crack the egg into the bagel hole. The white will stream down the side and that's OK. Cover the pan and let the egg cook for a few minutes, depending on how done you want the yolk to be, check on it often. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan, salt, pepper and green onions. Serve with bacon, fresh tomato salsa and make sure you don't forget the coffee!
Pin It!

9 comments:

Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen said...

You are tempting me to go back to eating bacon...nothing like it!

Unknown said...

Love bacon from the oven!

Lucie said...

I've never had bacon from the oven--such a great idea!! I bet it keeps your house from smelling like bacon all day long too, right? I definitely have to try this!

grace said...

colorful, filling, nutritious, and delicious--stellar plate!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to go make an egg in a bagel nest now, thanks for introducing me to the concept. Yummay!

~Kurious Kitteh

Cocina Savant said...

I would certainly be happy to eat this delicious dish any morning. The bagel nests are a neat addition.

Unknown said...

Oven cooked bacon - inspired! One of those things that makes me say to myself now why didn't I think of that!

Cheri said...

What a yummy breakfast! I'm definitely a savory breakfast eater for the most part and this looks right up my alley. I've been wanting to make oven fried bacon for a while.. I think this recipe just convinced me to do it!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting all excited to make fresh salsa. Our tomatoes are just coming on! :)

Sandy
Reluctant Entertainer