Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Fish Tales

I have never been fishing. Like most people, I rely on my supermarket to provide the freshest fish available. But that has not always been the case. My Dad doesn’t go fishing anymore, but as a child I remember him coming home from his fishing trips with baskets full of rainbow trout. He would clean and prepare the fish, then coat them lightly with flour, salt and pepper. Into the frying pan they would go until their skin got golden and crispy and delicious. Simple is best.


The closest thing to the taste of trout is salmon. I always keep salmon fillets in the freezer to use for all sorts of recipes. Once thawed I poach the salmon in simmering water, flake with a fork and refrigerate until I’m ready to use it. Last night I made a salmon burger recipe I found on Isa’s site. Her blog is in French and totally worth the visit. The burgers were a hit, though closer to a fish cake than a burger so they sort of fell apart as we ate! The next time I make these I’ll most likely serve them with a salad and bread on the side.


Today I mixed the rest of the poached salmon with leftover tartar sauce, spread the mix on a toasted bagel with lettuce, served baby carrots on the side, and that was lunch. Simple, easy and good for you. What could be better?


"Fish" by Thomas

Salmon Burgers (or Fish Cakes)
Adapted from Les Gourmandises d’Isa

1 lb salmon fillets, cooked and flaked with a fork
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp dill, finely chopped (I omitted this)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
2 pickles, finely chopped
1 cup ( environ 350 g ) cooked and mashed potatoes
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 egg (I added this to help them hold their shape)
Flour

In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together (except flour). Make 4 patties, lightly flour them and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Heat a few tbsp oil in a non-stick skillet and cook patties for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until nicely golden. Serve as hamburgers with lettuce, tomatoes, onion slices and tartar sauce or as fish cakes with a salad and bread on the side.

Tartar Sauce
From Ricardo and Friends

1/2 cup (125) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 ml) sweet pickles, chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) capers, chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
1 tsp (5 ml) fresh chives, finely chopped

In a bowl, mix the ingredients. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Pin It!

3 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love salmon but have never tried it in burgers!! Great idea and great photos.

LyB said...

Thank you Patricia! If you do make these as burgers I would suggest you add a second egg to the mix before forming the patties, it might help them hold their shape better.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo trying this recipe. Yum!